Saturday, October 14, 2006

As a lot of you know I don't exactly get a long real well with my sister. She and I just have different points of view on pretty much everything. However she is about 5 months pregnant and is having a terrible problem. She has developed this terrible rash that only effects 1 in 60,000 pregnancies. And mostly effects women who have autoimmune disorders like hypothyroidism. Which she has. Mostly the thyroid thing just makes her tired and difficult to lose weight. And that, I don't really pay much attention when she complains. But this rash is called pemphigoid gestationis. And it has devistating effects. She will most likely get these terrible blisters that crust over and ooze all over her body. Right now it is in the early stage and is a really bad rash with little bumps all over her body that itch incessantly. Unfortuantely there is no cure. And the treatment sucks too. She can only use oral steroids to help the itching but not fix it completely. Plus the effects on the baby are unsure. And don't have the greatest track record. The rash will most likely last her entire pregnancy and for at least 2 months beyond. And if she wants to have more children in the future she would have to endure this again. The baby could get the rash as well. Most likely the baby wouldn't have it for long and no long lasting effects. But my sister could keep getting this until she reaches menopause. Just because of hormones. And the worst part is that her flesh could get necrotic and die off. She could end up with these black patches. Basically it is a lot like being a lepar (sp?). I looked it up and so did she. It really isn't a pretty picture.

But before I had a chance to look up all the pictures and info on the net I went searching through my herbal books and nutritional books for home remedies. I found a couple that might help. She could take a bath in mint leaves. She could use aloe vera, witch hazel, and take vitamins A, C, E. and Niacin. Plus there is this stuff called Collidial Silver that is a natural antibiotic. I told her all about the different things and she said that the aloe and the witch hazel was making it a little more bearable. I just hope she does o.k.

So please everyone pray for her and hope she gets some relief. She may even have to quit her job if it gets too bad. I wanted her to get some perspective on others and have some empathy. But I never wanted her to go through something so awful.

Blessed Be. I Love You Lolly!!!

6 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger She who just needs a nap said...

Do the doctors refer to this rash as pups? I had a very mild case of it with all my kids....they didn't act all like you said with the crust and such but I did have annoying itchy bumps on my tummy, upper arms and lower legs....I didn't get it treated so we might now be talking about the same thing but if we are.....those oatmeal baths by Aveno did wonders for mine.

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger BlueGoddess said...

No, it was the other thing I called it in the post. She was using the aloe and witch hazel like I said. And now her doc said to stop using it because they said it might make it worse. And my sis said her doc is one of the best dermatologists in the city. They are still talking about putting her on steroids, but she hasn't called me back to say if she is on them yet. Plus they said that her rash is unusual because it started so early in her pregnancy.

My opinion is to look at natural remedies first for the safety of the baby. But my sister is at her wits end. She feels like she is going crazy with the discomfort and it is never ending. I feel really sorry for her. I just hope she gets better very soon.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger She who just needs a nap said...

After I posted, Brian and I looked this up and I realized they were different. And I can sympathize with her. Pupps had me FREAKING nuts, I was itching so bad and now that I have read how much worse her's could be, I just feel bad for her. I agree with you about the natural remedies but you know that being uncomfortable during pregancy can make you MISERABLE. Just keep her in her thoughts and try to be as supportive as you can. I think this is a really good step in your relationship.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your posts. You can get instant access to secrets for curing cold sores using Cold Sore Remedies today. Do share with anyone you know who might be interested in cold sore treatment. Thanks!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i found your blog by way of annie - crunchywithstyle - and thought we had a bit in common after i saw you were still bfing your 3-yr-old. my dd is nearly 2 1/2 and still nursing. i also live in CO.

anyway, i'm so sorry to read about your sister's condition. that has to be just awful. :( i hope that some of the natural remedies work for her. i can't imagine having to endure that.

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger BlueGoddess said...

wow. thank you so much for that. I have seen your comments on crunchywithstyle as well. However I didn't know you were in CO too. I will definitely be stopping by your blog to check you out too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home