Thursday, January 11, 2007

Marriage Counseling


Helo again. I know I have been rather infrequent these days in posting. I used to post nearly every day. Now I get consumed with watching t.v. and dealing with my 3 year old. I know I can be very lazy. And also since my husband and I have been on difficult terms he is sleeping in the basement. That is where the computer is. So of course I don't get as much time as I would like to be on it and blogging or doing my work for my new website.

So my husband and I went to our first session of counseling yesterday. It seemed fruitful. I was acutually surprised at how much we actually talked about. I have been saying all of the same things I say at home. But my husband seemed to listen more. At least it seemed like it at the office. Now we will have to see if we are able to put some of the stuff into practice.

The things I need for him to work on are his being responsible for himself. He likes to act like a spoiled teenager. He wants all of the fun of being an adult with none of the responsiblity. I of course have let him get away with this our entire relationship. And before we had a child it was annoying and even led me to call off our wedding 2 weeks before the day. But then we went to a counselor twice and I thought we could handle things. Plus I really wanted to be married and to have a child. So I got married anyway. And of course I still loved him. But then we had a child and the responsiblity for him has been overwhelming for me. I already feel like a single parent a lot of the time. And all of this has made it so that I want a divorce. But I do love my husband and want a good father for my child. So we are trying counseling. I hope it works. If not hopefully it will help us to be better parents to our child.

And as all of you know my husband is bipolar and goes to counseling every other week. Well we are actually using his therapist for our marriage counselor. She is all we can afford right now. And since his illness seems to be in check she and my husband are both willing to make the sessions just about the two of us for a while. I am totally grateful for that. I wish we could afford to go at least once a week or more right now. But unfortunately that isn't possible. His therapist is even on a sliding scale. But he makes too much money to get a bigger discount. So we will have to work with what we have.

If anyone wants to comment or has some advice please let me know. I could use all of the support I can get. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Blessed Be.

3 Comments:

At 4:22 AM, Blogger revhipchick said...

remember that j is not the only one with issues in your marriage. you have to be willing to work on yourself as well or it will never work.

if you simply have a list of demands for him to meet it won't be pretty.

i know that much of the way things are are due to j and his illness but be fair.

even w/my ugly first marriage i know there were plenty of things i was doing wrong--not that r was justified in some of the crap he pulled, just as j is not. don't think that's what i'm saying. you just have to get "real" about the relationship--that means both of you.

good luck and i love you!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger BlueGoddess said...

I know. Thanks for the advice. I actually had to put into practice not nagging him about every little thing. Just as he wants to be an obnoxious teenager type, I have taken on the role of parent with him. And it is a difficult habit to break. Especially since I am a parent to our beautiful boy. But I now have some other things to occupy my time for the moment. Hopefully that will make things a little easier.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My ex was bi-polar and it was so hard to deal with things. I loved him, but our relationship was so unhealthy. It's really hard to see someone you love go through such a hard time. Obviously we aren't together anymore, so I don't think I'd be the best to give advice. I sometimes feel like I've let my ex down by ending things, but it was really bad. There was much more to the story (like the cheating and quitting every single job he had and smoking up and drinking when he should have been working...)

Just because things didn't work out for us doesn't mean things won't work out for you.

I hope for the best for you guys :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home